Danes living abroad

You can get MitID as a Dane living abroad

Danskere bosat i udlandet

If you as a Dane living abroad want to access Denmark’s digital self-service solutions, you must have MitID.

If you have NemID

If you have a NemID, you can get MitID now.

Start your journey from NemID to MitID.

You need an authenticator, for example the MitID app or the MitID code display, to log on and approve activities using MitID. You can migrate from NemID to MitID instantly using the MitID app. If you want to use a MitID code display, you need to order it in advance. If you order a physical authenticator like the MitID code display, you need to allow for delivery time, so order it early in the process.

Learn more about MitID authenticators.

If you don’t have NemID

If you don’t have NemID, you need to visit Citizen Service on your next visit to Denmark.

Bring your Danish passport, your Danish driving license, or two of the following three documents:

  • Certificate of personal data
  • Christening certificate
  • Birth certificate

You will be asked to answer control questions based on information from the Central Person Register. You can also bring a witnesser, who is able to confirm your identity. This could be a family member or a friend. We recommend that you bring a witnesser, since the Central Person Register might not hold enough data to generate necessary control questions.

The witness must have a valid MitID, which must be at least 30 days old.

Find a Citizen Service Centre.